Yasi Xu’s Class Work

Class One

Simple circuit and the conductive fabric switch.

 

 

Class Two

We have digitalWrite and digitalRead in this class. The first picture is the digitalWrite and the second one digitalRead then the third combine. So this is the basic class use the Arduino board to control the circuit.

 

 

 

Class Four

In this class, we have analogRead and map function, so now we could show and read a process not only on & Off.

 

Class Six

The first and second picture are the first prototype we made and the third one is the form models which we are going to test for Emil.

The first prototype includes the function of right and left click of the mouse. In the process, we used teensy  instead of Lily pad or Uno because it could use USB and have more pins that we could use. The outside shell of the prototype includes a vacuum form button part and a soft part with cotton inside. We changed the where the buttons connect to the whole body so it could be click easier.

During the prototype, we used foam-core  as the base to fix the buttons by cutting out the holes for buttons and wire jumpers.

 

Class Seven

For this class, we started working on the optical sensor. Because they actually build a library for the sensor, I spent the whole class time still can’t read through the whole library and understand it. I felt it just make the work even harder when everyone build their own library. I started to miss C++.

 

Class Eight

In these two week, we were working on the optical sensor. We first used the uno to test whether the optical sensor and the program work. Because we known the uno pad can work well with SPI library, so we could use it to figure out the other parts. So first we needed make sure the circuit is right. For that we found a program online to test it. When the Led in sensor started flashing and the screen shown “communicate successful”, we known the circuit work. Then we needed to figure out if the optical sensor can get the reading of displacement. Luckily we also found a program online to test it.

Then we used Lily pad to test if the SPI could work on it. Although it can work theoretically, the optical sensor can only work when it is totally balance and be in the right high to the surface under it. So we still can’t get a stable reading from it.

 

Week Ten

This week we went back to Ability Now and test our prototype on Emil finally. So glad to meet him again.

The way how the buttons work is totally fine for him. But the whole mouse should be much more bigger and higher than the model we have now. And a place is going to be added on the left surface for the thumb.

We also brought clay in plastic bag to there to let Emil hold it, so we were able to record the natural hand shape of him.

And in the class, since the Lily pad we have broke and I spent one hour to solder it back but failed. We tried to make the SPI library work on teensy board. After struggling for nearly three hours in class, we finally made it work. However, we could have the reading of x & y displacement on screen but the reading were not reliable reading because the connection is unstable and the placement of sensor is accurately.

We known the problem of optical sensor from the beginning of this project when we broke down a mouse. We known the optical sensor won’t work if it is not in the exact place. For the half semester, this problem were wandering there every class and it still there until now.